Practical English Usage by Michael Swan was the book I used when I was learning English. I would like to have a similar book for German, since it contained a lot of common mistakes made by non-native speakers, as well as good explained grammar.

• What is your level in German. It is above intermediate, I would suggest you Hammer's German Grammar and Usage. When I learnt German, it helped me a lot. – Ad Infinitum Nov 18 '16 at 12:31
  • Actually, no. I need a book similar to the one I mentioned. Its concept is to go throughout the most common mistakes, and to explain them. So, a lot of grammar, but moreover, a lot of explanation of language usage. – blackarrow Nov 18 '16 at 20:19
  • The book is from Oxford university press (as the OALD) so I think it's not too localized but a pretty standard book. – Janka Nov 19 '16 at 3:19
    For those who want to know what's in there: ielts-house.net/Ebook/Vocabulary/… – Janka Nov 19 '16 at 3:21
  • Very cool book -- I'd also be interested in a version for German for myself when I am advanced enough :-) – Eric Feb 15 '17 at 8:11

Searching for häufige fehler deutsch fremdsprache surfaced some nice links. They are not books, but a nice start. I find that normally knowing what search terms to enter in Google makes all the difference.

I hope those help.

PDF

Wiki

As for common mistakes, you might consider getting "1001 Pitfalls in German." It is out of print, but still easy to find. I own the variant for French, which covers topics like confused words, false friends, and other, well, pitfalls.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.