I will try to persuade your parents.

My translation is

Ich werde mich bemühen von deinen Eltern zu überreden.

Is the grammar right?
Because there are three verbs I’m a little confused.

I wonder why you thought you had to write von deinen Eltern instead of deine Eltern. Because apart from that and the missing comma after bemühen it's correct. – Janka Nov 20 '16 at 4:22

If you have trouble using two verbs, it sometimes helps to add them one at a time, starting with the full verb, ending with the auxiliaries (if any). In this case, the ‘base sentence’, ‘I am persuading your parents’ is:

Ich überrede deine Eltern.

The verb in question is jemanden überreden and takes an accusative object. Adding a verb for to try — you used bemühen which works, but I would prefer versuchen which captures the trying intent better — you need to put the newly-formed infinitive to the back of the sentence:

Ich versuche, deine Eltern zu überreden.

Note that:

• the case of deine Eltern did not change, it remains accusative
  • I put a comma before the extended infinitive because it’s more than just the verb and zu
  • no von ever turned up.

Putting that into the future case — future isn’t as bad in this sentence as it would be in others, but depending on the context present tense might still be a better choice even if you’re speaking about the future — i.e., adding werden leaves us with:

Ich werde versuchen, deine Eltern zu überreden.

And if you want to stick with bemühen, that’s fine and gives you the following results:

Ich überrede deine Eltern.

Ich bemühe mich, deine Eltern zu überreden.

Ich werde mich bemühen, deine Eltern zu überreden.

• I do wonder which part of this answer was unclear or not useful. – Jan Nov 20 '16 at 18:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.