What do you call a person who is good but not very good on a language . A person who is decent on a language.

For instance can I say "ich bin anständig auf die Deutsche sprache" is this right. I am not sure about this can someone correct me if the sentence wrong and give a correct answer

You could use "einigermaßen" ("somewhat", "reasonably", "to some degree"), as in "Ich spreche einigermaßen Deutsch". – Henning Kockerbeck Nov 26 '16 at 15:31
  • My question was a correct adjective for a person who has a mediocre skills on a language. But thanks anyway for your try to help Henning Kockerbeck – user22634 Nov 26 '16 at 17:22
    What's wrong with a simple "gut" then? – user1583209 Nov 26 '16 at 17:32
  • I have also thought about that but "gut" sounds little bit unfit for "mediocre" – user22634 Nov 26 '16 at 17:34
    @pbx: Post this as answer, and I will upvote... – Torsten Link Nov 28 '16 at 8:38

Off-topic: On specific demand I now re-post my former comment as a complete answer. I hesitated to do so because it at first seemed a bit half-baked to me. I am going to extend the initial comment to justify the type anwer instead of comment a bit more.

Personal suggestion

Why don't you just translate your question directly as in

Ich spreche ganz vernünftig Deutsch

for example? There is no specific construction or adjective that is sine qua non for what you want to express in the German language. Instead there are many possibilities to say what you want to say. I gave one example, Artery gave two others with constructions based on "einigermaßen" or "passabel". One could think of some more as in

Ich spreche (sehr) brauchbar Deutsch.

Ich bin in der deutschen Sprache relativ sicher.

Ich kann recht gut Deutsch sprechen.

which are not direct translations of your sentence but paraphrased versions.

Your suggestion

Regarding your proposal: Your sentence has to be

Ich spreche die deutsche Sprache ganz anständig.

Both your preposition and your word order are incorrect. The verb "sein" seems awkward in this specific context to me so I used "sprechen" instead.

Nice to know

If you try to find a version for your official CV to express that you can speak German quite well: Refrain from using the above translations and refer to your exact language level via CEFR.

| improve this answer | |

First of all, I wouldn't say it this way.

In my opinion a good one would be:

"Ich spreche passabel Deutsch"

or

"Ich spreche einigermaßen (gut) Deutsch"

Without the "gut" it's more colloquial. I think in this case

"passabel"

would be a good translation for "decent". It means, that your german is "okay", neither very good nor bad ;)

Your sentence has a couple of mistakes in it:

"auf die Deutsche sprache"

is incorrect, you would rather say

"in der deutschen Sprachen"

If I stick to your base-sentence I would say:

"Ich bin passabel in der deutschen Sprache"

But no native speaker would say that at all :D

Furthermore you have some typos in it. If you start a sentence, you always start with an upper case letter. Furthermore "deutsche" is written in lower case, because it is an adjective. "Sprache" on the other hand is written in upper case, too, because its a noun.

| improve this answer | |
  • Mistakes in a question that are not related to the topic actually being asked should rather be edited. To state why something is wrong, you would leave a comment under the question. You only have 20 rep to go before you can comment everywhere; keep it up ;) – Jan Nov 28 '16 at 23:35
  • Thanks for this advices, I am pretty new to this sub-"exchange" :D – Artery Nov 28 '16 at 23:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.