How would one say that ones hair needs a trim?

"Mein Haar braucht einen Schnitt?" I think this is "My hair needs a cut."

But how would one say " a trim," as in walking into the Hair Salon and saying: " I just need a trim, please." "Bitte, ich will nur Abschneiden." perhaps?

Be careful! Abschneiden isn't trimming but trimming to zero (or near zero). Trimming is kürzen or nachschneiden. And don't use the English trimming either, because the hairdresser could understand she should use a Haartrimmer (and trim to near zero, of course.)
    – Janka
    Nov 28 '16 at 0:37
  • Perhaps something with "nachschneiden", but this is not my area of expertise.
    – Carsten S
    Nov 28 '16 at 11:24

"Mein Haar braucht einen Schnitt?", would be understood, but sounds a bit funny. Kind of like a word play that a native would use. Normally one would say something like: "Meine Haare müssen geschnitten werden." or "Ich möchte meine Haare schneiden lassen." However if you enter a Friseursalon, this is usually assumed. The main information to transmit is what exactly you want. First of all you would want to pick among: Schneiden, Waschen, Färben...., which you can combine with und or nur. For instance you could say:

Nur Schneiden bitte.

Waschen und Schneiden bitte

Assuming that with "I just need a trim, please.", you mean that they only need to do a small "refresh", that would be:

Nachschneiden

I would also like to suggest "Nur Spitzen schneiden, bitte" - "Only trim the ends, please."
    – jera
    Nov 28 '16 at 8:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.