According to dict.cc, this expression can either be used with jemandem or with jemanden. Which one should a person use? Is there any different at all in the two? Does any one of them sound better than the other?

In my personal experience, people in Baden-Württemberg prefer the Dativ ("es juckt mir/ihm"), whereas in Berlin people use the Akkusativ ("es juckt mich/ihn").

Both Duden and Wiktionary list the version with dativ first, but I don't think this is relevant. Both versions are correct!

Duden writes:

es juckt mir, auch mich in den Fingern

and wiktionary:

es juckt jemandem in den Fingern,

Alternative Schreibweisen: es juckt jemanden in den Fingern

I don't even think the usage is regionally diverse - It's maybe just a matter of personal preference - And I keep finding myself using both forms... – tofro Nov 28 '16 at 11:12
  • But Berlin dialect typically avoids mich altogether in favour of mir – Jan Nov 28 '16 at 23:30
  • @Jan, the reason might be that most of my friends/collegues in Berlin are not from Berlin.... – Iris Nov 29 '16 at 10:48

According to the Universität Leipzig it is "es juckt ihn in den Fingern".

There might be regional differences though. It is not yet in the Atlas Alltagssprache, so if you are really interested, you might ask them to include this idiom in the next survey.

I've heard both (near Frankfurt/Hessen). – dirkt Nov 28 '16 at 8:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.