I am searching a scientific term for the pronunciation rules covering the following: The vocal in Stamm is short, but the vocal in Wal is long.

In German, pronunciation is Aussprache, but I am looking for a more specific term related to the specific rules of combination of vocals and consonants. Which part of Aussprache is it? I found Phonotaktik but I am not sure if it is the correct one.


An integral part of phonetics (Phonetik in German) is research not only on rules of the quality but also on rules for the quantity of a vocal.

The German term for this would be

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.