I mean, German comes from the fact that the Germans are Germanic (duh...) but the Germans aren't the only Germanic people out there... So, the meaning of Deutsch must not be "German" per se, or is it?

If it is, then Germany is like the origin of the Germanic people?

Shouldn't that be asked in english.stackexchange.com? It is about the English translation of "Deutsch", isn't it? Dec 19, 2016 at 12:02
  • @tofro, yes duplicate! Thank's for finding it (believe me I looked). :) Dec 19, 2016 at 12:16
  • @ThorstenDittmar, It's not about the translation, it's more about the meaning of Deutsch. It does not mean Germanic, does it? (it's specified in the question) Though it's a duplicate, the linked question has a very nice answer. Dec 19, 2016 at 12:20
    Concerning its age-long history, the best name is “Deutschland”. It’s not the land of the Germanic, nor the Alemanni, Foreigners or Saxons, but The Land of the People. Study the names of Germany for a comprehensive answer.
    – dakab
    Dec 19, 2016 at 12:21
  • @GuilhermeZ.Santos Neither does "German" :-) That's why they are two distinct words: German and Germanic. Dec 19, 2016 at 13:14

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.