I am curious what kind of grammar law fits the adjective conjugation for drittgrößte. Is it a strong or weak adjective conjugation? What confuses me is that, in my grammar book, it is mentioned that after numbers there is a strong adjective conjugation while in this case, Stadt is female and there is also a die.

München ist die drittgrößte Stadt Deutschlands.

• What would you expect? Furthermore there is no number in this sentence... – Eller Dec 21 '16 at 22:43
  • Since there could only be one "drittgrösste" there is always a definite article or adjective in singular connected with it, and therefore you don't have to think about any strong conjugation of the word, it would always be weak – Beta Dec 22 '16 at 6:44

Dritt- isn't a number but a prefix for the superlative of groß. That's the same as in English, e.g. in second largest second isn't a number (a count) but a position on a chart.

An example with a number:

Drei große Städte in Deutschland sind Berlin, Hamburg und München.

You can see it's strong flexion because the plural is not built with -en.

An example with a number and superlative:

Die drei größten Städte in Deutschland sind Berlin, Hamburg und München.

See how the flexion gets weak because of the (required) article in front.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.