I don't have a good explanation for why in Germany a wine with little sugar is called 'trocken'. Does someone know where this comes from? Because the meaning of 'trocken' in Germany is 'such that there is no water'. I'm really wondering ...

closed as off-topic by Hubert Schölnast, tofro, Iris, Jan, Em1 Dec 27 '16 at 7:33

• This question does not appear to be about the German language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think this question applies not only to the German language, but to any language. Basically, the question is: Why are wines with little sugar called "dry"? This does not seem to be a question about the German language. – Eugene Str. Dec 26 '16 at 20:59
    Here's a list of 30 countries where it is just the same. – Takkat Dec 26 '16 at 21:09
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question seems to require expertise in oenology, not in German language. – Hubert Schölnast Dec 26 '16 at 21:26
    Agree this question, unfortunately, doesn't fit here. Here you might find some good hints (maybe the best you can get): answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=709617 – tofro Dec 26 '16 at 21:45
    The question may be on-topic on Seasoned Advice or Beer, Wine & Spirits. – Wrzlprmft Dec 27 '16 at 8:43

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.