When someone would say:

Ein Küsschen in Ehren kann niemand verwehren.

"No one can deny a light kiss in honorific way" — is that its exact definition?
Is it sarcasm? When would someone usually say it?

Nobody would say this nowadays. It is understood as sexism. There is an other more common similar: Ein Gläschen in Ehren kann niemand verwehren. – Thomas Jan 5 '17 at 17:33
  • Oh! thanks @Thomas ! so it has been abolished! good to know and not use it in my text messages. – Armin Jan 5 '17 at 17:36
    I first thought was: "Ferrero Küsschen" has a new advertisment. Their advertisment slogan is "Guten Freunden gibt man ein Küsschen" – Iris Jan 5 '17 at 18:35
  • Thanks @Iris! do you know whether the mentioned proverb is abolished now or not? – Armin Jan 5 '17 at 18:39
    @Thomas As with all things that may be sexist, it depends who you’re saying it to. (And, as Iris mentioned, whether the chocolate is meant or an actual kiss.) I wouldn’t call it ‘abolished’. – Jan Jan 5 '17 at 19:25

It is definitively not sarcastic, it is more a humorous proverb that is said to come from the 17th century as you can read in this link (german).

The translation is: a light kiss can / should not be denied.

It is said with a twinkle in your eye that says: Come on, who can say no to a "little" kiss...

Should or could. You can be both the offering and the receiving party imho. – Jan Jan 5 '17 at 19:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.