I have a puzzle about possessive article here that made me a little confused. There are three dogs Bello, Max and Rex, according to these sentences, Bello is masculine and Max is Feminine, but what about gender of the whelp Rex? And whom does the last Seiner refer to?

Bello ist der Hund ihres Mannes.

Rex ist der Hund seines Kindes.

Max ist der Hund ihrer Mutter.

Rex ist der Hund seiner Kinder.

Who do the possessive articles refer to? – Carsten S Jan 5 '17 at 19:05
    1. You don't have possessive articles, but possessive pronouns. And they refere to somebody outside the sentence. For example sentence 2 in Englisch: »Bello is the dog of his child« can be correct, but also »Bello is the dog of her child«. The person (either father or mother of the child) is not mentioned in the sentence. The gender of the dog doesn't influence the gender of the pronoun, because the pronoun doesn't refer to the dog, but to a person outside the sentence. – Hubert Schölnast Jan 5 '17 at 19:15
  • Sorry, I was actually asking, I had not seen your last sentence. I do not understand whose husband, child, mother we are talking about. – Carsten S Jan 5 '17 at 19:15
  • Dear @HubertSchölnast! thanks, But here in the book "Studio d B1" it has written as "Possesivartikel" and I couldn't find "possesive articles" in tag lists either. – Armin Jan 5 '17 at 19:21
    Bezüglich Possessivartikel: "In der modernen Linguistik wird Possessivpronomen auch in einem engeren Sinne verwendet und bezeichnet dann nur Wörter wie seines (in: das ist seines), aber nicht Wörter wie sein (in: sein Haus). Letztere werden dann Possessivartikel (auch: Possessivbegleiter, Possessivdeterminanten, Possessivdeterminative) genannt." de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessiv – Iris Jan 5 '17 at 19:37

There are three dogs Bello, Max and Rex, according to these sentences, Bello is masculine and Max is Feminine, but what about gender of the whelp Rex?

Yes, there are three dogs. However, only the names of the dogs and the use of the masculine form of 'Hund' imply their gender - not the possessive pronouns. Furthermore, it is not evident from the text that Rex is a whelp.

I'll explain the separate sentences in detail below:

Bello ist der Hund ihres Mannes.

Bello is a dog, belonging to a man that is the husband of a woman that is referenced

Rex ist der Hund seines Kindes.

Rex is also a dog, belonging to the child of a man that is referenced

Max ist der Hund ihrer Mutter.

Max is a dog, belonging to the mother of a woman being referenced

Rex ist der Hund seiner Kinder.

Rex is a dog, which belongs to the kids of a man being referenced

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.