The pronunciation for ie in vier¹ is a long i sound as in Bier (IPA: /biːɐ̯/), but for vierzehn² and vierzig³, it is shorter i-sound (IPA: /ˈfɪʁtseːn/ and /ˈfɪʁtsɪç/).

What are the rules for pronunciation of the ie sound in German?

In German, the single letter i may be spoken as a short sound as in mit, or as a long sound as in Stil. You even have both versions in the word Pazifik (the first i is pronounced long, the second is short, without any obvious indication for that).

It is supposed to be a general rule, that ie is always spoken as a long sound, as you noticed in Bier. The examples of vierzehn and vierzig are the only counter examples i know.

Conversely, most long pronounced i sounds are writte as ie, but there is a much longer list of counter examples to that, so this is a rule of thumb at most.

Finally, there is no difference in pronunciation between i and ie, if the i sound is pronounced in its long version.

• Hi,please don´t youse the word Mitte as an example for a short i in a word. To pronounciate the i in Mitte short results of the double t after the i. In German the letter in fromt of a double letter would always be spoken short. – FrankAus5419135 Jan 10 '17 at 11:13
    I'd like to add that there are dialects in German where vier and vierzehn are actually pronounced alike in terms of the ie. – Thorsten Dittmar Jan 10 '17 at 12:16
  • @FrankAus5419135 edited. – TheAbelian Jan 10 '17 at 13:35
  • @ThorstenDittmar interesting, I didn't know that. – TheAbelian Jan 10 '17 at 13:36

The problem is not so much the length (as a non-native speaker you can in case of doubt always resort to some intermediate length), but whether a special separation of e applies, as discussed in this German question.

Rule of thumb: ie is mostly long. There is a noticable shortening of long ies as in spazieren to participle spaziert, which results from loss of stress. For a definitive answer where the stress is, I see no alternative to a pronounciation dictionary.

• if two consonants follow, ie is pronounced short. – Nope, if indicating a single vowel, ie is almost always pronounced long. Vierzehn, vierzig, and Viertel are exceptional. (In fact, I challenge you to find any other word with a short ie.) – Wrzlprmft Jan 10 '17 at 8:18
  • @Wrzlprmft: generally accepted, answer revised; not much difference to siebzehn, siebzig and Siebtel however. – guidot Jan 10 '17 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.