My German A1 teacher pronounce sehr as /zehr/ pronounced in English. Is this correct? Online German dictionary has /ze:ɐ̯/ as IPA. I just want to know is his pronunciation as a correct alternative?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Jan, Alexander Kosubek, Hubert Schölnast, Carsten S, tofro Jan 13 '17 at 8:56

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Actually most people would pronounce it /ze:ɐ̯/ I think. – Thorsten Dittmar Jan 11 '17 at 7:40
    /zehr/ pronounced in English – Is /zehr/ supposed to be IPA or some weird English phonetic description? If the former, it’s unpronouncable; if the latter, what do you actually want to state (can you translate this to proper IPA)? – Wrzlprmft Jan 11 '17 at 9:53
    Voting to close as unclear until you clarify what kind of pronunciation you’re trying to replicate (phonemic, phonetic or ‘like in English’; they require slashes, square brackets or just general italics). – Jan Jan 11 '17 at 19:01
  • Also to answer @Jan's comment to my question, I'm assuming the OP used en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_respelling when he wrote /zehr/ – Raketenolli Jan 12 '17 at 18:37
  • @Raketenolli Maybe. But the tables listed in the relevant article show only one way of pronouncing eh namely [ɛ]. That is a wrong (but understood) pronunciation; it could be associated with a Russian accent. However, this usage of eh is not consistent across respelling variants and it could also be meant to describe the sequence of sounds [ɛh]. Which means we still don’t have clarity. – Jan Jan 12 '17 at 19:23

The problem with /zehr/ is that it tries to imitate the proper German pronunciation of sehr by something that resembles an English word. The /h/ for example is not an indicator of a certain sound by itself, it only serves to tell the speaker that the e is a long one. The /r/ also indicates that the word should be pronounces somewhat like wear or tear (as in tearing apart), but IMHO also results in an audible [r] at the end of the word -- it shouldn't be there in the proper German pronunciation, and it will also reinforce a typical American English accent.

So even though an American-sounding /zehr/ would very likely be easily understood, the IPA provides the correct pronunciation.

• /zehr/ (although that would most likely be rendered /zehər/) sounds more like Seher to me than sehr — although neither include a /h/ sound. If you have figured out OP’s cryptic pronunciation guide, would you please share it with us by editing the question accordingly? – Jan Jan 11 '17 at 19:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.