In addition, the CNN cable network has subscribers in about 150 countries and territories, further increasing the world’s contact with the English language.

Should the text after the comma be translated using a Partizip I or using a subordinate clause starting with was?

My German is not good enough to for a good translation, and I am not after a help with that. Rather, I’d like to know which of these two grammar structures is better:

... Abonnenten in ungefähr 150 Ländern und Territorien, was weltweit die Kontakt mit der englischen Sprache weiter erhöht

... Abonnenten in ungefähr 150 Ländern und Territorien, die weltweite Kontakt mit der englischen Sprache weiter erhöhend.

I want to again stress (because I hope not to be put on hold for off topic) that I am not after a translation, only an indication of which is better grammatically; specifically, whether the second one is even possible.

• There's no present continuous in German. Your second translation is wrong, unfortunately. Sentences with continuous forms should normally be ripped apart into separate main closes or clauses connected with "und". ...hat Abonnenten in 150 Ländern...und erleichtert so den Kontakt mit der... – tofro Jan 12 '17 at 6:44
  • That's precisely the sort of answer I was after. Thank you very much. – James Edwards Jan 12 '17 at 6:57
  • ... hat Abonnenten in 150 Ländern, welche den weltweiten Kontakt mit der englischen Sprache erhöhen. Also so, würde ich das übersetzen. @tofro: wie kommst du dort auf erleichtern? – FrankAus5419135 Jan 12 '17 at 7:40
    @FrankAus5419135 Ich finde, dass man einen Kontakt nicht erhöhen kann. – tofro Jan 12 '17 at 7:43
  • Wenn der Kontakt zu 3 Leuten besteht und man dann den Kontakt auf mit 10 Leuten erhöht? ;) – FrankAus5419135 Jan 12 '17 at 7:44

Unfortunately the original sentence is weakly phrased, so any translation is either equally weak or must more deviate from the original.

... hat Abonnenten in 150 Ländern, was den weltweiten Kontakt mit der englischen Sprache verbessert.

would be quite close.

I agree with @tofro, however, that contact either exists or does not. One can increase the number of persons you contact, the frequency or the intensity but not the contact itself.

In my opinion the intention behind the sentence is more

... hat Abonnenten in 150 Ländern und ist dadurch Botschafter für die englische Sprache.

(... has subscribers and therefore serves as an ambassador of English language)

• "I agree with @tofro, however, that contact either exists or does not. One can increase the number of persons you contact, the frequency or the intensity but not the contact itself." - that may be true for the German verb erhöhen, but if I am not mistaken, increase can very well have the meaning of intensify, which makes more sense here and could be translated as intensivieren or verstärken. Might be an interesting question for English Language & Usage, though. – O. R. Mapper Jan 12 '17 at 22:58

... hat Abonnenten in 150 Ländern, welche den weltweiten Kontakt mit der englischen Sprache erhöhen.

so würde die Übersetzung meinem Wissenstand entsprechen.

Es kann gerne darüber diskutiert werden und bei einem überzeugenden Argument würde ich diese Antwort auch bearbeiten.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.