Pia hat heute früher aus

What does this sentence mean? I’m learning German and translation softwares couldn’t give me meaningful results.

Are there any parts that you can already identify? Are there any specific words that are causing you trouble? We are not a translation service for entire sentences. – Jan Jan 14 '17 at 19:18

E.g. if you are at work or at school you could say:

Ich habe heute früher aus.

This means your working hours/school day/classes end earlier as usual/ as expected/ compared to X.

So in your example:

"Pia's (school day) is over earlier today"

Without a comparison it is a short form. Often used in context of school or work, to indicate a deviation from the expected working hours or length of the school day.
But you can extend this to use it as an comparison e.g.:

Pia hat heute früher aus, als ihr Bruder / als normalerweise.

• +1 but it doesn't have to mean that it ends earlier than usual, it could also mean earlier than yesterday, earlier than her brother, and so on. – Deve Jan 14 '17 at 16:42
  • Thanks, yes you are right. I added "as expected" and some additional information. – Artery Jan 14 '17 at 16:49

The sentence consists of four components:

Pia

a girls name, subject of the sentence,

two adverbs,

früher

'earlier' and

heute

'today', and the verb 'aushaben' in the 3rd person singular:

hat ... aus.

According to the Duden 'aushaben' has four meanings. In this sentence only one makes sense:

Schulschluss haben.

Putting the pieces back together you get:

Pia is out of school earlier today.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.