Morgen gehe ich zur Schule.

Morgen gehe ich zum Fussball Spiel.

In both cases the questions apply to wohin So why in one case zur is used and in the other one zum is used ?

In Dativ don't masculine and neuter turn to dem ? zu + dem = zum. Why in Schule zu+der was used ?

I searched google and I am not so sure if Schule is Masculine... So if that is the case everything is ok, I am just no sure.

• @IQV Thank you! Any link to a site that I can check this every time I am not sure ? I just don't have a dictionary... (takes too long to find every word I need). – Tony Tannous Jan 20 '17 at 8:22
    Fussballspiel would be one single word. – tofro Jan 20 '17 at 8:34
    @TonyTannous You can use [Duden](www.duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/). Enter the word in the search field above and check the gender. – IQV Jan 20 '17 at 8:47
    Die Schule is feminin! – Hubert Schölnast Jan 20 '17 at 15:34

"Die Schule" is feminine and that explains why in the Dativ it is "zu der Schule" or contracted "zur Schule". If you are not sure about the gender of a noun, maybe it helps more to check in a dictionary than to just google, e.g., use Duden.

"Die Schule" is feminine, so it is "zu der Schule" or "zur Schule".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.