I'm a native German speaker, but I don't find the correct translation for the word "embed".

The word embed is used in sentences like:

You could also link to a website to embed session content.

Embed a link.

What is the correct translation of it?

closed as off-topic by user unknown, Jan, Hubert Schölnast, Robert, チーズパン Jan 24 '17 at 8:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – user unknown, Robert
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Tell us why you're not satisfied with the translations "einbetten" and "einschließen". This could help finding another or better word – Beta Jan 22 '17 at 14:31
    Wenn du deutsch sprichst und deutsch bist, wie du behauptest, warum frägst du dann nicht auf Deutsch? – Jan Jan 22 '17 at 15:04
    @Jan: Ich kann verstehen, daß man geneigt ist, in Englisch zu fragen, die Seite heißt nun mal German Language, vlt. ein Grundsatzproblem?! – Thomas Jan 22 '17 at 17:42
    @Thomas wahrscheinlich nicht ganz falsch. Andererseits heißt es am Anfang der Tour (und wahrscheinlich anderswo) auch bilingual question and answer site. Vielleicht sollte man in die Tour noch explizit reinschreiben, dass man auch auf Deutsch fragen kann …? Eine Diskussion für German Language Meta! meta.german.stackexchange.com/q/1221 – Jan Jan 22 '17 at 17:46
    Thomas is right: you do not embed a link, you do only embed content. When you look here, you can see, that "einbinden" is another possible translation. But you find a lot of sites, where you do "Inhalt einbetten", e. g. "Videos einbetten" and so on. – IQV Jan 23 '17 at 7:21

There are two possible translations of "embed": einbetten or einbinden

Einbetten means etwas in etwas Größeres einfügen. Einbinden means durch feste [Ver]bindung einbeziehen, einfügen.

For me, einbetten is more visual and about the presentation of the small thing within the big thing, whereas einbinden emphasizes the connection of the both things.

Thus, I would translate

You could also link to a website to embed session content.

as Du könntest also auch zu einer Webseite verlinken um Inhalte der Session einzubinden because the purpose of the link is to include session content to the website.

and

Embed a link.

as Einen Link (in einer Webseite) einbetten if I want to emphasize the way the link is presented in the website. E.g., I think my links to Duden and Wiktionary are eingebettet, because the content is already in my answer and the link is just the reference

or as Einen Link (in einer Webseite) einbinden if I want to emphasize the connection of the content of the link to the website.

OLE Object Linking and Embedding - German Wikipedia

OLE has been introduced by Microsoft in the 1990s. And in this case "Einbettung" is used. If you just want to add a link you can also use Einfügen. Similarly to embedding a crystal or a diamond into a ring or brooch.

Object Linking and Embedding (OLE, engl. Objekt-Verknüpfung und -Einbettung) ist ein von Microsoft entwickeltes Objektsystem und Protokoll, das die Zusammenarbeit unterschiedlicher (OLE-fähiger) Applikationen und damit die Erstellung heterogener Verbunddokumente ermöglichen soll.

"Einbetten" is 100% the right translation.

Giving an example - in this case a translation of one entire sentence - increases the value of an answer. – Kristina Jan 22 '17 at 19:04
    Could you please motivate your statement? – Beta Jan 22 '17 at 19:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.