Oans, zwoa, drei, g’suffa!

The first three words in the above quote are Bavarian for “eins, zwei, drei”. Is g’suffa also Bavarian, and what does it mean?

It’s a Bavarian dialect expression and it means gesoffen. That’s the Partizip Perfekt of saufen: colloquial/vulg. for trinken (to drink).

+1 - Zudem ist es ein feststehender Trinkspruch. – Tomalak May 26 '11 at 14:08
    +1 nur im Zusammenhang mit Bier anzuwenden. – bernd_k May 26 '11 at 14:21
    @Tom_Au The expression is older than the song. – splattne Jun 17 '11 at 17:21
    A good translation would also have to include that "g'suffa!" is meant as a kind of prompt or even military-style order to take a gulp of beer. – 0x6d64 Nov 27 '11 at 15:47
    @berd_k: Lässt sich auch mit Schnaps anwenden. – rimrul Aug 27 '13 at 17:18

G’suffa means to guzzle the drink down; it is not just drinking.

Und was heißt to guzzle? Saufen, schlucken, verschlingen - danke. – user unknown Aug 28 '13 at 6:23

My translation would be

Down the hatch.

Well, I’m still learning a lot about the German language but I know that “eins, zwei, drei” is “1, 2, 3” and g’suffa is chug, gulp or guzzle. So this clearly is a drinking song! My uncle’s ex wife would sing this and drink German beer.

Saufen is to trinken as fressen is to essen. Fressen translates more "to wolf" down food or to eat as greedily as an animal. So too does saufen/gesoffen (g'suff') translate as "to slug" or "to chug" a drink in English or chupar whiskey in South American Spanish.

This phrase comes from the song "In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus. It uses the past of the verb "saufen" which refers to "serious" drinking; e.g. "tossing" one's beer.

I was quite skeptical about this short answer. Indeed the reference seems to give a wrong date and no explanation. But the fundamental info in this answer seems to be correct, surprisingly –– if you include 1,2,3 to gsuffa. See here for a short text you should also quote in your answer merkur.de/bayern/… – LangLangC Sep 4 '18 at 19:50

I was in Germany 50 years ago in the military and eins, zwei, dre soufa was what the Germans would toast to during a beer fest. The band would play, and then they would say, eins, zwei, dre soufa and everyone would gulp down their liter of beer.

• Did they use Dre or Drei? – user unknown Jan 28 at 8:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.