I am doing German A1.

I just want to know whether Ich fahre dem taxi zum Büro can be used to mean I come to office by taxi.

closed as off-topic by Jan, Beta, user unknown, Ingmar, チーズパン Jan 26 '17 at 8:52

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – Jan, Beta, user unknown, Ingmar, チーズパン
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Questions, that basically ask for the correctness of a translation are off-topic here on German Language Stack Exchange. – Jan Jan 25 '17 at 19:10
  • ok ................. – InQusitive Jan 25 '17 at 19:11
  • Well, shouldn't we help with correct translations? I admit that the question may not really specify the circumstances he/she is asking about, but I think it's generally worthwhile to broaden the understanging of beginners, too – Kristina Jan 25 '17 at 19:35
    @Kristina Current consensus (as reflected by the close reason) is that translation requests (or meaning requests) are off-topic unless they highlight a specific point of concern and show their prior work. You are always welcome to suggest a new consensus on German Language Meta. However, it may be unlikely to be accepted. – Jan Jan 25 '17 at 19:37

Well, kind of.

There are some errors in your German sentence:

das Taxi
This is a noun. In German all nouns must always be written with a uppercase first letter.

mit dem Taxi
You have to use a preposition if you want to say, that you drive with the taxi. (In German the grammatical pattern <move> by <vehicle> doesn't exist, so you have to use the pattern <move> with <article> <vehicle>.)

So, the correct sentence would be:

Ich fahre mit dem Taxi zum Büro.

But this not a literal translation of your English sentence. The literal translation of the German sentence is:

I drive with the taxi to the office.

Your English sentence would be in German:

I komme mit dem Taxi zum Büro.

• to come = kommen
  • to drive = fahren
  • Oh, I missed the word mit. – InQusitive Jan 25 '17 at 19:25
  • @InQusitive: Yes, and the uppercase T in Taxi! – Hubert Schölnast Jan 25 '17 at 19:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.