You can find the term Big Data in the german language dictionary Duden. So we can say it's a german word now.

As it is a German word, I can concatenate it with other german words. But how?

Usually, if the word is not a German word, I can concatenate it through the use of a hyphen.

E.g.: "Der Deep-Learning-Begriff"

So, should I write

Big datakontext

or

Big-Data-Kontext?

"Big Data-Kontext", without the first hyphen, should be the correct spelling
    – Beta
    Jan 31, 2017 at 16:00
    @Beta Das stimmt nicht. Siehe den in meiner Antwort verlinkten Duden-Eintrag. Jan 31, 2017 at 16:03

1 Answer 1

Definitive Answer

Only the latter one - "Big-Data-Kontext" - is correct, see http://www.duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/bindestrich#K26

Speculation

I think the reason for the linked rule is disambiguation. Best way to explain what I mean seems to be by using parentheses to illustrate the relations raised by the different hyphenations:

"big Data-Kontext" - big [datakontext]

"Big-Data-Kontext" - [big-data]-kontext

Another example I came across the last days is

"latent profile analysis"

which denominates an analysis of latent profiles and not a latent analysis of profiles! Thus the correct german translation is "Latente-Profil-Analyse", while "latente Profil-Analyse" would mean exactly the latter one.

• Bei (noch) ungebräuchlichen Fremdwörtern werden von vielen auch Anführungszeichen akzeptiert, während eingebürgerte Lehnwörter zur Zusammenschreibung neigen: „Big Data“-Kontext vs. Bigdata-Kontext oder sogar Bigdatakontext. Im konkreten Fall würde ich allerdings auch die volle Durchkoppelung mit zwei Bindestrichen bevorzugen.
    – Crissov
    Feb 1, 2017 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.