Looking for abbreviations to replace the word Anz. (for Anzahl), owing to a lack of tabular space, I came across the abbreviation Z. for Zahl on these websites:

http://www.abbreviations.com/Z http://www.dw.com/en/best-german-abbreviations-from-aa-to-zz/g-18791484

Does Zahl mean the same as Anzahl? More specifically, would a very narrow table column titled Z. explain the same information as a column titled Anz.?

I have never seen Z as abbreviation in that context, "No" for "Nummero" coming closest, but this more corresponds to an incrementing counter. I'd propose to use the somewhat international symbol # instead. – guidot Feb 1 '17 at 12:41
  • Does this column contain a consecutive number (of the row) or any number of things in this row? – IQV Feb 1 '17 at 12:45
    Another possibility can be to use n, which is regularly used to denote a number in mathematical or scientific contexts. – jonathan.scholbach Feb 1 '17 at 12:45
  • @IQV No. jonathan.scholbach, n sounds like English doesn't it? – user25590 Feb 1 '17 at 13:44
  • @guidot # sounds like its being tallied or given a no. It is derived and is formed through different groups.U might, but groups won't understand "#". – user25590 Feb 1 '17 at 13:54

n

I would not recommend to use Z as an abbreviation for German Anzahl it will likely not be understood.

In a scientific context, and also in school maths or physics we also do use the international symbol n (or upper case N) for Anzahl. In German this would then not be derived from the English number but from Latin numero (in case you are concerned about this).

| improve this answer | |
  • Maybe even use N, because n could be misinterpreted as an index sometimes. Really depends on the table in question, though. – Chieron Feb 1 '17 at 17:04
  • @Chieron: thanks, edited into the answer. – Takkat Feb 1 '17 at 17:07
  • @Chieron indices more often get abbreviated as i. – fer-rum Feb 1 '17 at 17:30
  • @Takkat Doesn't "N" mainly suit a column describing numbers in scientific, legal or political domains, because it is a Latin term? The context for the Anz. column does not lie in these domains. – user25590 Feb 2 '17 at 7:48
  • @user25590: basically you are free to use any letter as long as you explain it somewhere. From all letters it is the n that would likely be recognized by most people as standing for a number. – Takkat Feb 2 '17 at 8:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.