How do I ask a girl if she's single in German? I want to impress her and I don't trust Google Translate.
Google's translation is "Was hast du heute gemacht?".

Was hast du heute gemacht? is German for What did you do today? - please edit your question to give us the original sentence or context you had in mind. – Takkat Feb 1 '17 at 17:03
  • Klingt ein bisschen nach how you doin’? (Catchphrase von Joey in der TV-Serie „Friends“) – Crissov Feb 1 '17 at 20:39

Was hast du heute gemacht

literally means "What did you do today?"

I do not know your original query you tried to translate, but if you are anxious to get it wrong, simply ask

Bist du Single? (Are you single?)

The word single is well understood in Germany in the meaning of a person without a partner.

A variation would be:

Hast du einen Freund? (Do you have a boyfriend?)

Hast du einen Partner? (Do you have a partner?)

Please note that all these suggestions are informal, so you should not ask someone like your teacher, boss or an older person in this way.

"Hast du einen Partner?" is not gender neutral! A gender neutral expression would be "Bist du vergeben?" – Iris Feb 1 '17 at 17:43
    @Iris, man kann sich darüber streiten, wie geschlechtsneutral "Partner" ist, aber dafür macht "vergeben" die Frau zu etwas, das man beanspruchen kann. – Carsten S Feb 1 '17 at 20:32
    @CarstenS Partner ist jedenfalls nicht geschlechtsneutraler als Freund – außerdem nicht idiomatisch. – Crissov Feb 1 '17 at 20:35
    "Bist du liiert" ist absolut geschlechtsneutral ;) – Polygnome Feb 1 '17 at 22:11
  • @Carsten S, Männer kann man auch fragen, ob sie vergeben sind. – Iris Feb 1 '17 at 23:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.