Inspired by @ThorstenDittmar's very amusing answer to this question:

Google for the English word "portmanteau", and you will find that it has two meanings

1. a large travelling bag, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.
  2. a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel or brunch.

"podcast is a portmanteau, a made-up word coined from a combination of the words iPod and broadcast"

When I Google translate "portmanteau", it suggests only Handkoffer.

Does German have a word, or phrase, for the second meaning of "portmanteau"?

I don't get how @ThorstenDittmar inspired this question. – Iris Feb 3 '17 at 12:14
  • By using the word "gesündigt", which is a portmanteau – Mawg says reinstate Monica Feb 3 '17 at 12:16
    how is "gesündigt" a portmanteau? "Sündigen" is just an normal verb. – Iris Feb 3 '17 at 13:12
    Ah, now I understand your idea, but unfortunately, that is a mistake. "Gesündigt" is the normal Perfekt tense of "sündigen". A common phrase is: "Vater, vergibt mir. Ich habe gesündigt." (Father forgive me, I have sinned). – Iris Feb 3 '17 at 13:50
    "Gesündigt" is just not funny and I can't think of any funny portmanteau. Beta gave an portmanteau as an answer here (german.stackexchange.com/questions/34682/…), but the minus votes show that people don't think it is a good new word. – Iris Feb 3 '17 at 14:21

Wikipedia knows this word and also states that it is sometimes called "Schachtelwort" or "Kofferwort".

|improve this answer|||||
    Kofferwort is the term most known. – Janka Feb 2 '17 at 12:39
    In contrast to @Janka, I didn't know Kofferwort at all, but I'm very familiar with Schachtelwort (and also Portmanteau in this meaning). So without actual data I'm not sure which one is most known. – dirkt Feb 3 '17 at 10:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.