In a German textbook I see a sentence:

Er freut sich über dein Besuch.

Dein is a possesive article following variation like indefinite article. Dein is nominitive form. Why is it not in accusative (deinen) or dative (deinem) form?

It should be deinen (accusative), you are perfectly right. – Endre Both Feb 13 '17 at 16:12
  • @Lebenita That's a relief in that my understanding was correct. I'm a beginner in German. BTW, I added another question. Could you answer it too? And are you a native German? :) – Chan Kim Feb 13 '17 at 16:27
    The other sentence is correct however: Wir treffen und in der Bank; while Bank is female, the article becomes der in the dative case. – guidot Feb 13 '17 at 16:27
  • @guidot What am I doing, I knew der was correct but misread the sentence was wrong (when it is der) :). – Chan Kim Feb 13 '17 at 22:51
  • I don’t quite get your second uncertainty; you are confused why it is der but you are suggesting der or die? Also, since the two are not really related (there is no über in the second one) you should remove it and ask it in a separate question. Actually, thinking about it, I’ll remove it for you. – Jan Feb 13 '17 at 23:50

That first sentence from the textbook is definitely wrong. I saw many German textbooks abroad, which seem to never have been proofread by a native speaker, let alone a linguist. Sometimes such false sentences are part of exercises, but then this should be clearly marked.

The pronoun has to be in accusative case:

Er freut sich über deinen Besuch.

(ask: Er freut sich über wen/was?)

• The second sentence should not have been part of the question since it is an entirely separate issue. I have removed it from the question, you should remove it from your answer, too :) – Jan Feb 13 '17 at 23:51
  • done, thanks. it might have been valid if the question were "can I trust my textbook". – dlatikay Feb 14 '17 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.