I have a book which has two statements in a problem:

Du wolltest doch photographieren. Wo ist dein Kamera?

I thought dein should be changed to deine because Kamera is female. Is the second sentence correct?

Yes, it should be deine. Get a different book ;)
    – Carsten S
    Feb 18, 2017 at 16:19

1 Answer 1

Du wolltest doch fotografieren. Wo ist deine Kamera?

Is correct. Not 'ph' but 'f'. You will (actually) always use 'deine' when the reference is feminine. When it is masculine or neutral it is just 'dein'.

Deine Freundin

Dein Freund

Dein Auto

In English we distinguish between "male/female" sex, and "masculine/feminine" grammatical gender.
    – fdb
    Feb 18, 2017 at 22:40
  • @fdb Yes sorry you are right. The op used female and I just carried that word over. I had latin and of course we used feminine and masculine as well. I fixed that in the answer. Thanks for noticing me. Feb 19, 2017 at 6:13
    I still write Photo etc and don't consider it wrong, even though Foto certainly has been the more popular variant in recent years.
    – Ingmar
    Feb 19, 2017 at 6:21
    @Ingmar Indeed it isn't wrong. But it is a rather some old fashioned style (reform of 1996). 'Foto' is modern and way more common for younger generation. It seems that the learning book is some older probably. Feb 19, 2017 at 6:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.