My father's golf mates use the phrase "you're going down" before the game, meaning you will lose.

He has asked me to translate it to German, but I can't find the correct phrase.

@c.p. Well, it's hard to find out which of the 100 possible translations would fit the situation Mawg is mentioning, isn't it? – jonathan.scholbach Mar 6 '17 at 23:27
    @jonathan.scholbach: By remembering, what you have heard before. By looking up the opposite direction of translation. By looking for books which contain the phrase in context and looking up the translation of the book. By creating an idiomatic sentence in the target language and looking for search results with google... – user unknown Mar 7 '17 at 1:31

There is one possible translation, which is almost verbatim, and can be used in sports, for teams as well as for individual competitors, predicting their failure or losing a game:

Du wirst untergehen!

Informal you is assumed because the phrase by itself is rather informal, too.

• I thought of that, of course, but it isn't very idiomatic :-( Nothing involving beer or sausage? ;-) – Mawg says reinstate Monica Mar 7 '17 at 7:59
  • Maybe I can come up with something better, maybe use a different English phrase, like “we’re playing of all the marbles now”, and find a phrase involving beer or sausage :-) – Mawg says reinstate Monica Mar 7 '17 at 8:09
    @Mawg If he wants to certainly use sausage, he can say "Armes Würstchen, du wirst untergehen!" – Ad Infinitum Mar 7 '17 at 9:04
    @Mawg Sorry, that German does not fulfill your expectations. Even more informal is: Du wirst eines auf die Mütze kriegen. – guidot Mar 7 '17 at 14:30
  • He he - I like that one :-) And, German does fulfill my expectations - normally, which is why I hoped for something colo(u)rful for this one. – Mawg says reinstate Monica Mar 7 '17 at 14:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.