I don't understand why this isn't ,,Millionen von syrischen Kindern......" or "Millionen syrischer Kinder...." instead of ,,Millionen syrische Kinder...", that is to say, either using dative or a more obvious genitive.

Millionen syrische Kinder is the subject. Who or what suffers? So it has to be in … nominative. It's not the Millions who belong to some syrische Kinder. – Janka Mar 7 '17 at 23:01
    @Janka No, that's not the answer to the problem. Of course the subject here is the nominal-phrase [Millionen syrische Kinder]. Millionen syrischer Kinder would be a Genitivus Partitivus and correct as well. The question is, why it is not obligatory to use Genitivs Partitivus here. – jonathan.scholbach Mar 8 '17 at 1:59

The construction behind

Millionen syrische Kinder

is called "Apposition mit Kasusangleichung".

Millionen syrischer Kinder

would be "partitiver Genitiv (Genitivus Partitivus)". For more information see de:wikipedia: Apposition and canoonet

I came across the same thing a while ago when I saw ein Glass Wasser and wondered why there is no von used there. Surprisingly, I realised that in my mother tongue, Persian, we use it in the same way with no preposition:

یک لیوان آب بده لطفا Give me a glass of water please.

And if in Persian we add ِ , the meaning could change in some circumstances:

یک لیوانِ آب بده لطف Give me a glass which I can use for drinking water.

The persian equivalent of "of" shown by a small slanted dash in the second example changes the meaning in Persian, but whether it is also the case in German I highly doubt it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.