I try to use German instead of English sometimes when I write a caption of my photo. I want to type something funny. Is the following caption right?

In English:

Very tasty! ー The food? ー No, me!

In German:

Sehr lecker! ー Das Essen? ー Nein, mir!

• The first and the second are definitely correct. The third is a matter of context, it also could be "Nein, ich!". What is the question of this photo, you want to answer with its caption? – IQV Mar 10 '17 at 7:01
  • I am so confused about how to use "me" in German. I do not between "ich"' or "mir" is correct. I want to say: "I am delicious." I just want to make the sentence funny. – lvlakmild Mar 10 '17 at 7:46
  • @IQV: In what context would mir be correct? – O. R. Mapper Mar 10 '17 at 7:50
    Actually, German is more logical than English in this specific example - The case is nominative, but English speakers for some reason tend to use the pronoun "I" in accusative (i.e. "me"). Note this is even wrong in English, but often used. – tofro Mar 10 '17 at 15:02
    @CarstenS Check here: english.stackexchange.com/questions/1133/… - It's common, but a common mistake – tofro Mar 11 '17 at 14:05

It is

Sehr lecker! ー Das Essen? ー Nein, ich!

Why? You must ask "Wer oder Was ist lecker?". The answer: "Ich". (1. Fall, Nominativ)
If you can ask "Wem gehört das Essen?". The answer: "Mir". (3. Fall, Dativ)
And finally "Wen oder Was hat das überzeugt?". The answer: "Mich" (4. Fall Akkusativ)

• @Dustin To be honest, my German A1 level is going rusty fast but I am trying my best to brush up it again. So, I am still confused about Nominativ, Dativ and Akkusativ. I do not sure which and when is be used in any context. – lvlakmild Mar 11 '17 at 16:20
  • "You must ask" is nice for native speakers, but totally useless for non-native or at least non-fluent speakers. If you don't know that it should be nominative, you don't know what to ask either. So "you must ask" works well for native kids in schools, but otherwise, it makes no sense. – Rudy Velthuis Apr 2 at 11:52

The first and the second part are correct. The third must be "ich":

Sehr lecker! ー Das Essen? ー Nein, ich!

• And OP's sentences is wrong. Das Essen? is a question in nominative, and the answer should also be in nominative, whence ich. – c.p. Mar 10 '17 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.