Es kommt mir vor, als sei heute Sonntag.

Es kommt mir vor, als wäre heute Sonntag.

Most of the time, I see wäre used in an als construction like this, but I come across sei once in a while. How can I determine when to use one or the other?

| improve this question | | | | |

On the one hand, the grammatical functions of the two subjunctive moods are briefly as follows:

• The subjunctive I indicates indirect speech and similar.
  • The subjunctive II indicates that something is not true (irrealis).

Going by this, only wäre (subjunctive II) is correct as the subordinate clause is describing an irreal situation; actually it’s not Sunday. There is no productive grammatical function of the subjunctive I that applies here and which would call for sei (subjunctive I).

Here is some prescriptivist sharing this point of view.

On the other hand, using the subjunctive I in such constructions (irreal comparisons) is so common that one could consider it correct by usage. After all, languages evolve and are shaped by their speakers. If enough people make a mistake, it is not a mistake anymore. I am not aware of any difference in meaning between the two subjunctive moods in this case.

Here is a descriptivist observation by the Duden supporting this point of view.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • Interestingly, that "sei" sentence comes from an example sentence in a dictionary, and I hadn't imagined it to be a mistake, strictly speaking. Thank you. By the way, it may well be a typo, but I fail to see what you mean by the word "briefly" in your 1st sentence. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Mar 15 '17 at 7:50
    Well, the dictionary is observing how people use the language, as good dictionaries should do. — The word briefly here means shortly or in a nutshell. I use it to indicate that what follows is not a complete account of the functions of the subjunctive, as this would be beyond the scope of this answer and digress from the point. For example, I do not mention the subjunctive II of politeness as it is not relevant for this case at all. – Wrzlprmft Mar 15 '17 at 7:53
  • Oh, I get it now, thanks. "... is briefly (as follows):" – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Mar 15 '17 at 7:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.