Es kommt mir vor, als wäre heute Sonntag.

Es kommt mir vor, als ob heute Sonntag wäre.

Other than the fact that they follow different word order, are the two simply interchangeable? Or I wonder if there is some nuance involved.

I’m not sure when it is only allowed to use either of the two constructions.

Yes, the two are interchangeable, mean the same. The main differences are:

• word order

• number of words

• sound

Which one to use is a question of your personal preference and feeling of style. I would prefer the first one because of its simplicity.

Both constructions – I think you know it – are called Konjunktiv II.
Here are some remarks about its usage.

• I tend to believe that "als ob" is used to indicate a fake, especially in the connection with the verb "tun", for instance: "Wir tun mal so, als ob das so gewollt wäre". I think in those cases one would not use simple "als". – jonathan.scholbach Mar 15 '17 at 11:05
  • @Alone-zee No, I mean that "tun, als ob" is indicating a fake. But in your example "tun" is in the subclause. I am talking of scenarios with "tun" in the main clause. – jonathan.scholbach Mar 15 '17 at 11:58
  • @jonathan.scholbach: With a sentence »Wir tun, als wäre das gewollt« is nothing wrong at all. – Pollitzer Mar 15 '17 at 12:07
  • @Pollitzer Yeah, it's not wrong. But I think "als ob" would be used to indicate / emphasize that it's a fake. But maybe my feeling is misleading me. – jonathan.scholbach Mar 15 '17 at 12:18
  • @jonathan.scholbach Hi. Is it just me, or in the following instance, does the "als" version refer to a likely scenario whereas the "als ob" version suggests that the speaker finds the situation unbelievable? "Es sieht so aus, als würde sie sich vollkommen erholen. {likely}" vs "Es sieht so aus, als ob sie sich vollkommen erholen würde. {unbelievable}" – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Mar 16 '17 at 6:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.