I am doing a review on Marx's "Ökonomisch-philosophische Manuskripte" and I must write about the Menschenwelt, but I do not think "the man world" is a suitable term for 2017. I need to change it either to Personenwelt or Leutewelt , but I am not a German speaker, so I do not know which one is better in this context.

Many thanks from Brazil.

closed as primarily opinion-based by tofro, Beta, Hubert Schölnast, Em1, DisplayName Mar 28 '17 at 9:22

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

"Mensch" in gender neutral, if that is what you are concerned about. – Gerhard Mar 27 '17 at 19:20
    You mean you are really, really(?) considering changing the wordings of a source to fit your or someone elses needs????!!! – Beta Mar 27 '17 at 19:26
    "Mensch" means human being rather than male person as you seem to assume. And Personen- or Leutewelt would be utter nonsense. – tofro Mar 27 '17 at 19:37
    And it wouldn't matter anyway if Mensch indeed had meant "male". You simply CANNOT change a source, that is not in par with scientific principles. – Beta Mar 27 '17 at 19:59
    Can you give an example of how you want to use it? will the review be in English or in German or Portugese? – Oliver-Grimm Mar 27 '17 at 20:00

You misunderstood the meaning of the German word »Mensch«:

• der Mensch = human being (of any gender)
  • der Mann = man (a male human)
  • Thank you! It must be the translation to portuguese rather than the english one, then. Portuguese, as well as many other latim-based languages is extremely gender binary, and it is clear to me and many many others that the language used on the old sociology [and any text, actually...] is misogynist, just so, the translation in portuguese goes as "the man world" instead of "the people/human world". Being a gender neutral enthusiast around here is hard. And again, many thanks from Brazil! – Elisa Ferreira Mar 31 '17 at 19:08

Die Welt der Menschen oder unsere heutige Welt.

what is wrong using one of this options instead? – honsa Mar 27 '17 at 20:43
  • Not the downvoter, but: The answer would be OK if the OP had not asked the question under a false assumption. – tofro Mar 28 '17 at 9:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.