How do I say "baby-faced" or childish/childlike facial features in reference to a woman and in wording suitable for an ID?
I don't know any German, but I need it for a larp ;)

• "suitable for an ID" - could you clarify what you mean by that? An ID card? A user name? An identification procedure? ...? – O. R. Mapper Mar 31 '17 at 13:04
  • @O.R.Mapper "LARP" means "Live Action Role Playing", so Joanna is probably looking for something that is suitable as the name of a character. – Uwe Mar 31 '17 at 13:52
  • In case someone wears a babyface to achieve something, you might say something like "sie setzte ein Kleinmädchenlächeln auf" – tofro Mar 31 '17 at 13:56

"mit kindlichen Gesichtszügen" (which translates verbatim to "with childlike facial features").

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the reference to a LARP (Live Action Role Playing), and thought about something like an ID card or passport (which in former times contained a description, rather than a photograph, say "1,67 m, schlank, kindliches Gesicht, blaue Augen, braune Haare"). If you're looking for something that's suitable as a name, try "Püppchen" or any of Christian Geiselmann's recommendations.

• But is this suitable for an ID? – Christian Geiselmann Mar 31 '17 at 12:57
  • not suitable for an ID and therefore that question IMHO. If it shall be pure German, just use "Babygesicht". The description "mit kindlichen Gesichtszügen" belongs more to a dictionary than one would ever say it in speech. – Philm Mar 31 '17 at 13:03
  • Puppengesicht, also short Puppe. (lit. doll-face) – Janka Mar 31 '17 at 13:06
  • @ChristianGeiselmann Oops, sorry, I missed the reference to a LARP, and thought about something like an ID card or passport (which in former times contained a description, rather than a photograph, say "1,67 m, schlank, kindliches Gesicht, blaue Augen, braune Haare"). – Uwe Mar 31 '17 at 13:45

Simply use "Babyface". I would bet the word is so common in German that it almost qualifies for naturalized.

However, if you want to give your larp character a name connoting being nice and lovely, "Babyface" perhaps is not the best choice. The word evokes somehow the picture of a gangster by that name. In that case, consider

Schnuckel

Schnuckelchen

Mausi

Süßer Fratz

(I immediately distance myself from the last one, because for me this sounds sexistic. But 50 years ago it may have been an accepted way of speaking about a babyfaced women. Just because people weren't aware of the implicit power claim.)

• For women this is a rather harsh nickname. – Janka Mar 31 '17 at 13:05
  • "wording suitable for an ID" - wohl kaum (Spiel hin oder her). – Takkat Mar 31 '17 at 13:51
  • I agree that Babyface is fine to understand in German even for non-English speakers. – Philm Mar 31 '17 at 14:55

In all honesty, I only heard "babyface" before, if all else fails call them "süß" (cute).

Maybe Babyface and

Babygesicht

(as well as the forementioned Puppengesicht) seem too offensive. If used in real conversation, a more common German term may be:

Kleine

Of course it is discriminatory as well, but it is more real-life discrimination. So it depends on you: If you want to use emphasized stereotypes in your LARP (I have no real experience with that), use one of the first words, if it shall be used in conversations, I would go with Kleine.

More friendly:

Süße

But that is like Herzchen more in direction of sweety. A more descriptive word (but not to use for direct speech) for an adult or adolescent woman looking younger would be :

Kindfrau

• Your suggestions for adequate expressions in German to replace "Babyface" as a nick name for a woman are actually good. But neither of them seems to be a suitable name for a larp character. "Kleine" and "Süße" are just too unspecific. "Kindfrau"... hm... pejorative even? "Babygesicht could work, but again I find this strange as a name for a figure. More typical might be "Miss Babygesicht". – Christian Geiselmann Mar 31 '17 at 16:51
  • I see. Maybe you are right, maybe that depends on the larp. It would have helped to have the other nick names/IDs in that game... But "neither of them seems suitable" is then likely the same for the suggestions in your answer ;-) (I can say that, because I was the only one, who upvoted your answer till now :-) Moreover: Miss "Babygesicht" or similar construction seems a good idea, only then you could use "Miss Babyface" and the question was in my eyes to get a German name. – Philm Apr 2 '17 at 13:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.