Von dort oben, wo ich herkomme, kannte ich solch Herzenswärme nicht.

{instead of}: Dort oben, wo ich herkomme, kannte ich solch Herzenswärme nicht.

In English, the inclusion of the preposition from seems strange, whereas in this German sentence, it seems you need to include von. I wonder why?

= "Up there {uptown} where I come from, I have never had such heartwarming feelings."

{not =}: "From up there {uptown} where I come from, I have never had such heartwarming feelings."

= "I have never had such heartwarming feelings up there.

{not =}: "I have never had such heartwarming feelings from up there.

• Could you include a reference of where you found the phrase in question? It might be that in this case it's part of poetic or older language as indicated by solch instead of solche. – Tarok Apr 2 '17 at 13:31
  • @Tarok Hi. I seem to recall that this comes from a fictional story where people do talk in a rather old-fashioned way. Though, I don't remember much more than that. And yes. I was also concerned about the "solch vs. solche". But I concluded that this "solch" might be an adverb. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Apr 2 '17 at 13:36
  • "solch" is a pronoun here as the Duden tells us. – Tarok Apr 2 '17 at 13:41

Your translation is messed up partially, and os loses connection to the from.

Both English and German know an idiom "to know/remember something from somewhere" - Which is what this sentence is saying - meaning "I didn't experience it there". You translated with "... I never had such feelings ..." which was a bit loose and, actually, slightly twists the meaning.

The sentence translates to

From up there, where I come from, I wasn't accustomed to any such warmth of heart.

Also note that "von dort oben" doesn't necessarily mean uptown (In fact, in most cases, it doesn't). It could well be someone living in the mountains, or even "oben an der Küste".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.