I'd like to read some textbooks which introduce the German way of aspect construction. I can't read German literature so far, so those written in English will be preferred. Would anyone offer any recommendation on this?

I have a book by Comrie on aspect, but interestingly it treats aspect construction of various languages except that of German, probably because the German way of aspect construction is on the whole more lexical than grammatical. Still, there are grammatical devices for aspect construction in individual cases. So I am looking for some texts on this topic, specifically focused on the German language.

You may search in the libraries for works by Barbara Sonnenhauser. She is a researcher in slavonic languages but has published a number of works about the use of aspect in German too, including German dialects. There should be various journal articles, and her doctoral thesis, etc.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.