Both "Butterschmalz" and "Butterreinfett", have similar meaning in Leo. I can't identify the difference.

  • Asked like this, this is not a question for this forum. You should first consult a reference book of merchandise knowledge where you can look up standard requirements for products to be sold under certain names, and when then there are language-related questions left, come back here to discuss them. Commented Apr 4, 2017 at 9:03
  • @ChristianGeiselmann Could you please give an example of "a reference book of merchandise knowledge"? As you can see in my question, I have already referred Leo, which is a popular multilingual dictionary.
    – Porcupine
    Commented Apr 6, 2017 at 5:36

1 Answer 1


I believe "Butterreinfett" is the technical term with specific meaning while "Butterschmalz" is a common term.

Both denote a type of clarified butter where water, milk protein and lactose have been removed by (among others) heating and centrifugation. "Butterreinfett" has at least 99.8% of fat.

The common term, "Butterschmalz", might have been coined in order to associate it with Schmalz=lard, (which it is not).

You are more likely to find "Butterreinfett" used on a list of ingredients (e.g. of chocolate) and "Butterschmalz" more likely find as a product name in a shop.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.