Is sich beschäftigen um jn. in the sense occupy oneself with looking after sb. a natural expression to native speakers?

In standard dictionaries I find examples for the collocation beschäftigt sein um jn. but none for the pattern sich beschäftigen um jn.

Hence I am wondering whether it is sheer incident absence of examples or it reflects any intrinsic invalidity in the collocation of sich beschäftigen with um jn.?

As a native speaker, I do not recall hearing sich um jn. beschäftigen. I would suggest sich um jn. kümmern for the sense look after sb. with the implied meaning that this occupies oneself.

Also note sich mit jm. beschäftigen, meaning to spend time on someone, typically a dependent person, such as a child with the objective of education or an elderly person.

No, it doesn't sound natural at all. And I'd go as far as to suggest that any dictionary that lists

beschäftigt sein um jn.

is in utter need of review.

To translate the meaning you're after in German you'd end up with something way more complex than that:

sich damit beschäftigt halten, sich um jemanden zu kümmern.

• The dictionary in question is the online Duden, BTW. – dirkt Apr 5 '17 at 5:55
  • Tja, mit dem Duden geht's begab :/ – tink Apr 5 '17 at 5:57
  • Ich bin sicher, sie nehmen Dein Angebot zur Revision mit Begeisterung an. – dirkt Apr 5 '17 at 6:08
  • Ich habe da so meine Zweifel. =D – tink Apr 5 '17 at 6:10

No, it does not sound natural, the common expression for that is sich beschäftigen mit jemand.

Beschäftigt sein means being busy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.