Du kannst jetzt bis zu vier gleichzeitig verwenden!

{or}: Du kannst jetzt gleichzeitig bis zu vier verwenden!

I sometimes find myself vacillating between different possible placements of adjacent adverbs and prepositional phrases.

In the case of lining up ja, doch, wohl, da, dann, dazu – to name but a few – they seem to follow predetermined patterns and I now feel comfortable enough with them, but in this particular case, the first choice seems just as likely as the alternative.

How can I determine which to place first?

You can use both. The first one could be read more fluently - without breaks. In the second one the emphasis is on "gleichzeitig" with a small break after it.

| improve this answer | |
  • you are right... – Joshit Apr 6 '17 at 10:09

Du kannst bis zu vier gleichzeitig verwenden!

Ist richtig :)

EDIT

Actually you can not say, that my initial answer is correct.. But it sounds more familiar to me, and I won´t use the other one.

The reason is, that the word order of the other example brings "gleichzeitig" into focus, while my favorite example has its focus on "bis zu vier".

It (as ever) regards to content. If it was possible, that you can use 4 pieces before, and the clou now is, that you can use them at the same time, the second example would be correct. If the new thing is, that you are able to use 4 and, because of context, at the same time is its natural consequence, the first example would ne correct.

• But I can´t say anything about patterns.. Your examle word is not so easy ;) and those "ja, doch, wohl" etc are one of the meanest things in german language.. Its a bit like using "though".. If you have got a feeling for the language, it will be much easier to use these words.. – Joshit Apr 6 '17 at 9:11
  • Und wieso ist das richtig? – user unknown Apr 6 '17 at 9:36

(a) Du kannst jetzt bis zu vier [Blatt Klopapier] gleichzeitig verwenden!

(b) Du kannst jetzt gleichzeitig bis zu vier [Blatt Klopapier] verwenden!

(a) and (b) are correct.

(a) fits better if in the past always one has been used (accent is on »gleichzeitig«).

(b) fits better if in the past two or three have been used (accent is on »bis zu vier«).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.