The wiktionary.de page for die Einrichtung provides 5 definitions (https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Einrichtung).

The first definition is the following: die Handlung, etwas zu gründen oder zu erstellen.

I tried to use this meaning in the following sentence: Die Einrichtung der Mannschaft war erfolgreich, weil die Befürworter viele Geld hat.

I was trying to communicate that the 'founding' of the team was successful. My german friend (who corrects my mistakes) was unable to explain why my usage of Einrichtung was incorrect. Can someone clarify this for me?

• Did you look up the usage of the verb einrichten? – Carsten S Apr 9 '17 at 17:47
  • Yes, one of the synonyms for einrichten was organisieren, as well as gründen. – Amaziah Apr 9 '17 at 17:49

einrichten has quite a number of meanings, but the general meaning of "gründen" is none of them. Wiktionary's translation is, unfortunately, at least misleading, or even wrong, because it is too general. Duden has a better explanation:

zur öffentlichen Nutzung schaffen

Beispiel

eine Beratungsstelle, einen Pannendienst einrichten

In case you are looking in that direction, the "founding" of something is limited to publicly accessible and (often) funded organisations, services or facilities.

eine Suppenküche einrichten

ein Kinderhospital einrichten

eine Beratungsstelle einrichten

and even

eine öffentliche Bedürfnisanstalt einrichten

This obviously doesn't work for football teams.

| improve this answer | |
  • Einrichten explictly means the "founding" of something from outside. A better translation is "to install". – Janka Apr 9 '17 at 18:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.