I am wondering in which way beschweren ( as in sich beschweren) is derived:

1. be-schwer-en, where the root is the adj. schwer

or

1. be- Schwere-n, where the root is the noun Schwere

This question involves elements of both etymology and morphology. My major intent lies in an etymological interpretation of the lexical meaning of sich beschweren. On the other hand, such an etymological approach to lexical meaning is grounded upon morphological facts in this case, so morphological arguments will be as welcome as those of etymology.

• I just noticed a little discrepancy: Your questions looks, as if you were asking about morphology, whilst it is tagged with etymology. Would you please clarify this? – Arsak Apr 11 '17 at 15:03
    @Marzipanherz Thanks for your reminder. This question involves elements of both etymology and morphology. My major intent lies in interpretation of the lexical meaning of ,,sich beschweren", hence i labelled this question as one of etymology. Then you reminded me that such interpretation is grounded upon morphological facts, so I added the tag 'morphology'. – Lynnyo Apr 12 '17 at 0:22

Among other features, Canoo.net offers the analysis of the word formation (Wortbildung).

You can find the analysis of the verb beschweren here:

It is your first version:

be + schwer + en

Looking at your second version, Schwere itself is formed by adding a suffix to the adjective (aka suffixation):

schwer + e

Edit to add etymological information:

In Althochdeutsch, swārī (Schwere) is a female noun, which derived from the adjective swār (schwer). The latter one derived from Proto-Germanic *swēraz.

DWDS lists the etymologic development of beschweren and states that it belongs to the adjective schwer:

beschweren Vb. ‘belasten’,

ahd. biswāren ‘bedrücken, belasten’ (10. Jh.),

mhd. beswæren ‘bedrücken, belästigen, betrüben’

gehört wie das gleichbed. Simplex ahd. swāren (8. Jh.) zu dem unter ↗schwer (s. d.) behandelten Adjektiv.

| improve this answer | |
  • This does not answer the question which is asking for the etymology of "beschweren" - that's why I gave -1 here. – jonathan.scholbach Apr 25 '17 at 17:42
  • @jonathan.scholbach "beschweren" is derived from "schwer", see here for example. What more would you expect? – Arsak Apr 25 '17 at 17:48
  • I'd think, in this case, the english wiktionary gives the morphological information not the etymological. Canoo, too, has the morphological analysis, not the etymological. The question asks pretty clearly whether "beschweren" comes from "schwer" or from "Schwere". Your answer does not provide any information on that. – jonathan.scholbach Apr 25 '17 at 17:56
  • @jonathan.scholbach The questions pretty clearly asks for both, etymology and morphology. – Arsak Apr 25 '17 at 18:03
    @jonathan.scholbach I added some further information (maybe that is why you couldnt change). Hope The answer satisfies both aspects more clearly now – Arsak Apr 25 '17 at 18:16

The root of the term (sich zu) "beschweren" is the noun: Beschwer, die (article feminine). The noun Beschwer is a jurisdictional term which colloquial meaning in German is: Last, Beschwerung, Nachteil (burden,loading, disadvantage, hindrance, harm). A "Beschwer" is a jurisdictional negative decision or claim against a person.

(sich zu) beschweren (verb) means "to complain" against someone or something (verb).

(Eine) Beschwerde (noun,fem.) means "complaint" (noun)

Edit: Thank you for the question! The root word is: schwer (adj.) which originates from the Old High German word: swaren. The word Beschweren (vb.) originates from the Old High German words: biswaren and biswarida . It then evolved in to the Middle High German word: beswaeren. Which means (directly translated) "to make something heavier".

| improve this answer | |
  • We may have to add that the noun die Beschwer is no longer used outside of jurisdiction. – Takkat Apr 11 '17 at 9:28
  • And the morphological root of Beschwer is...? – Arsak Apr 11 '17 at 9:35
  • @Marzipanherz wild guess it's Schwere, the noun – Marcus Müller Apr 11 '17 at 9:51
  • @MarcusMüller According to my resources, Schwere is a Suffigierung of the adjective schwer as well. – Arsak Apr 11 '17 at 9:58
  • @Marzipanherz Feels like Althochdeutsch swārī, which I think is a noun – Marcus Müller Apr 11 '17 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.