Dadurch verbraucht dieses Auto weniger Sprit!

{instead of}: Dadurch verbraucht dieses Auto wenigeren Sprit! [with Starke Flexion]

I suppose this weniger is not an adverb, but an adjective qualifying the following noun Sprit. I was surprised to find out that the comparative declension for wenig apparently does not exist to begin with. I wonder why?

Link

Some adjectives like wenig, etwas, mehr, manch, solch, viel, welch are called as Adjektive mit Nullartikeldeklination. There is a beneficial tutorial if you want to learn more about these types of adjectives.

Examples from this tutorial;

Adjektive mit Nullartikeldeklination nach folgenden Begleitern stark dekliniert:

Eure Kinder sollten mehr frisches Obst essen.

Mit etwas gutem Willen lassen sich sicherlich all deine Probleme lösen.

Der Ozean verbirgt manch kostbare Perle.

Solch dummes Zeug habe ich schon lange nicht mehr gehört.

Hinter der Grenze zu Polen kann man viel billigere Schuhe kaufen als bei uns.

Welch große Nase hat dieser Mann.

Auf der Versammlung wurden nur wenig neue Fakten genannt.

You didn't read your linked canoo article properly. It classifies wenig as Adjektive, unflektiert und attributiv. So, this adjective (not everyone would agree it is one, Duden insists it is an adverb) is not flexed. This is also true for its comparative and superlative.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.