I have two questions about this:

1. Why is the verb "erinnere" before "ich mich wieder"? Can i say instead, "Jetzt ich erinnere mich wieder"?
  2. What is the purpose of putting "mich" in the sentence? wouldn't that be saying I remember me(which doesn't seem to make sense)? Would it be correct if i eliminate the word "mich" from the sentence and just say, "Jetzt, erinnere ich wieder" ?

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question, i truly appreciate it :)

Word order is much more flexible in German than in English, but there is one very hard rule:

• In a declarative sentence (i.e. not a question and not a command) there MUST be a verb at grammatical position 2 of the sentence.

(Note, that a grammatical position is for one part of speech, not for one word)

This are other correct versions of the same sentence:

Jetzt erinnere ich mich wieder.
Ich erinnere mich jetzt wieder.
Wieder erinnere ich mich jetzt. (unusual, but still correct)

Also important for your question:

• The verb »erinnern« is a reflexive verb in German. This means: It always has to be used with a reflexive pronoun, which in case of »erinnern« has to be used in accusative case (mich, dich, sich, uns, euch). In Englisch to remember is not reflexive, so you must think different in German.

So, the purpose of »mich« in this sentence is just to make the sentence grammatically correct.

| improve this answer | |
  • It might help the OP to think of it as "I remind myself", or at least to compare with that. English does have reflexive verbs, but they are not so obvious. – Mawg says reinstate Monica Apr 13 '17 at 8:57
  • I am surprised that the OP did not ask why "wider" is necessary – Mawg says reinstate Monica Apr 13 '17 at 8:58
    @Mawg Well, may be it's because "wider" is not necessary ;) – Eller Apr 13 '17 at 12:40
  • Lol. Ok, then I am surprised why he did not ask why it was included – Mawg says reinstate Monica Apr 13 '17 at 12:51

1: The verb comes second: Jetzt (verb) ....

2: the verb is not "erinnern", but "sich erinnern". This is a reflexive verb. The difference between "erinnern" and "sich erinnern" is very subtile and difficult to explain in english. In some case (colloquial) you can only use "erinnern". In spanish there is also both variants, "recordar" and "recordarse". Literally translated "remember" and "remember myself"

may be a quick solution could be: sich erinnnern = remember, erinnern = remind

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.