Can anyone tell me the origin of the phrase "alles für die Katz" ("All for the cat"), and when it first came to be used?

Some authors (like Dr. Rolf-Bernhard Essig or Rolf Waldvogel) explain that in former times cats' only task was to hunt mice. To ensure the cats are hungry, greedy and therefore succesful at hunting they seldom got food from their owners. And if so, it was some leftovers, some inferior, worthless things that nobody else wanted.

Then later this idiom became popular in some fables as fanlim mentioned in his answer but there are some more. The themes vary from "nobody gives voluntarily with pleasure" to the "promises of the aristorcrats".

So it's hard to say when this idiom was first used.

|improve this answer|||||
    Though my understanding is that well-fed cats tend to hunt better. – JAB Apr 13 '17 at 18:06
    Family members who live on farms explain to me that well-fed barn cats don't hunt as much, as they have no need to do so. The trick is apparently to feed the cats just enough that they stay, but not so much that they stop going after the mice and rats. – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 13 '17 at 18:12

Different sources refer to „Der Schmied und die Katze“ from Burkard Waldis (1490-1556)

See Wikiquote Burkas Waldis

Und jedes Mal, wenn ihn ein Kunde mit einem "Danke" abspeiste, sagte er zur Katze: "Katz, das gebe ich dir." Das Dumme für die Katze war, dass sie von den leeren Worten nicht leben konnte und deswegen verhungern musste. Source: Geolino

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.