I want to know what this sentence means:

Du kannst mich mal.

• Welcome to German Language SE. Can you please edit your question to provide some context and state what you found and understood so far, e.g., why did a dictionary not help you? This site is neither willing nor suited to replace a dictionary, but that’s all we can do in response to your question. – Wrzlprmft Apr 17 '17 at 7:13
  • @Wrzlprmft In this case, I disagree. On the surface, yes, the OP could try a dictionary, but "you can me" isn't particularly helpful, is it? I'd suggest an edit instead. (Happy to do it, but later.) – Stephie Apr 17 '17 at 7:19
  • @Stephie: Good dictionaries do contain phrases: 1, 2. (Anyway, if there is some disagreement I will reöpen, so the community can decide.) – Wrzlprmft Apr 17 '17 at 7:24

It is a short version of

Du kannst mich mal am Arsch lecken.

Literally:

You can lick me at my ass.

In English you would say:

Kiss my ass.

Maybe interesting to know:

In previous times, German speaking people did not lick at the ass, but in the ass:

Leck mich im Arsch.

Two famous quotes:

1. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote this lines in the third act of his stage play »Götz von Berlechingen«:

Götz: Mich ergeben! Auf Gnad und Ungnad! Mit wem redet Ihr! Bin ich ein Räuber! Sag deinem Hauptmann: Vor Ihro Kayserliche Majestät, hab ich, wie immer schuldigen Respect. Er aber, sags ihm, er kann mich im Arsch lecken.

Götz: Surrender? To grace and disgrace? Who are you talking to? Am I a robber? Tell your captain: I, as always, properly respect your imperial majesty. But he, tell him this, he can lick me in the ass.

2. Here, on Youtube, is a canon in six voices from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart about licking in the ass: »Leck mich im Arsch« on Youtube

Read more about this canon on Wikipedia: »Leck mich im Arsch« on Wikipedia

It's a shortened variety of the Swabian salute. ("Kiss my arse.") It comes in many varieties, sometimes omitting parts, sometimes changing words to "hide" the offensive bits - while the listener clearly understands the meaning.

A frequent version is your Du kannst mich mal am Arsch lecken! and it's so standard, that even the beginning is clearly recognized without saying the "offending" parts aloud.

Interesting trivia: Even if his saying is today called the Swabian salute, Götz would most probably have considered himself a Franconian. History always seems to get it wrong ;) – tofro Apr 17 '17 at 12:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.