This question already has an answer here:

Today i wanna ask you how to pick up the right article for a word? Is there any rule that applies for the articles. For example why Die Milch instead of Das Milch or Der Milch? I think the article must be picked up, according to the word's ending. I don't really know. One of the solutions would be to learn the article mechanically for each word, but there must be a easier and logical solution. Thanks in advance

marked as duplicate by Takkat Apr 19 '17 at 11:22

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Except some endings (f. e. -schaft, -ung) there is no any rule. You have to remember the article for almost every single word. And even worse - the meaning of some words depends on the article – Eller Apr 19 '17 at 11:23
  • Please take your time to investigate whether a question has already been asked or not. In addition please also read the help center and our German Language Meta to make sure that future questions will be on topic here. If multiple questions do not meet our standards you are in risk of getting an automatic ban for asking. We all want to avoid this as a question ban can not easily be removed again. – Takkat Apr 19 '17 at 11:31
  • You need to learn it "mechanically" (as you call it, or "by heart" as would I prefer to call it). While speaking your brain has no time to think about "what was the rule here... uh... uh... um... wait a moment... words with an -a at the end usually are female... uh..." Your brain must have formed a fix tie between the word and its genus. It will form this tie by repeated use. So: read books! Speak to friends! Write letters! Use the language! – Christian Geiselmann Apr 19 '17 at 13:05

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.