Do we use the Gerund in German language? Or the Infinitive? Is the word used?
My last question, is there someone who can explain it to me? Tschüss!

• The existing answers talked about the gerund. But you also asked about the infinitive. I think that German does have an infinitive (the form of the verb you see in the dictionary, and also the main verb in your sentence, e.g. I can see, Ich kann sehen) but I don't know what to call it in German. I'm not sure I understood what you want explained. – aparente001 May 1 '17 at 6:37

The word Gerundium is used (e.g. to describe another languages), but German has none.

German doesn't have a separate verb form that would work like the gerund in English or the gérondif in French to build a substantive.

You can, however, use a substantiated verb using the infinitive that sort of works like the English or French counterpart.

He sings while working

Il chante en travaillant

Er singt beim Arbeiten

• Is "beim Arbeiten" considered formal? Since the sentence in English uses "while" I would rather try to translate it using während, although I don't know how to do so. Would something like "Er singt während er arbeitet" or "Er singt während Arbeitens" be correct? Thank you! – Hilder Vitor Lima Pereira Mar 10 '19 at 22:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.