I have seen both structures (intended, I believe, to express: "I am surprised that ..."):

• Ich wundere mich, dass ...

• es wundert mich, dass ...

Haben beide Arten, das Verb wundern zu verwenden, genau die gleiche Bedeutung?

That's the same difference as English I wonder vs It puzzles me. If you choose the variant with Ich, you put emphasis on the fact that you wonder. – Janka Apr 22 '17 at 21:44
    Rather same as I wonder vs. It makes me wonder in English. – tofro May 17 '17 at 7:28

The difference goes to the source of the "wunder."

"Ich wundere mich," means "I am curious about..." (The wondering starts with me. You may or may not join me in wondering.)

"Es wundert mich," means, "It makes me wonder." (The event was so striking that it caused me to wonder. You probably will, too.)

Ja, es ändert sich nichts an der Bedeutung. Die Form mit ich ist etwas direkter ausgedrückt, aber es liegt auf der selben Sprachebene und legt nach meinem Empfinden auch keine andere Betonung oder Bedeutung bei. Die zweite angegebene Form mag älter wirken, wird aber trotzdem heute formelhaft genauso oft verwendet und ist aktuell.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.