In Dreyer/Schmitt, "bäckt" is given as the primary third-person form of "backen". Since I never used this and have not heard it often where I live (Northern Germany), I was very surprised by this and wondered if this could be right. Are both forms still equally valid? Are there regional differences?

Here in Franconia "bäckt" is used almost exclusively. – 0x6d64 Jan 21 '12 at 11:38
    Additional to the answer check the Duden. The alternatives are mentioned. – Em1 Jan 21 '12 at 21:12
  • Wer oder was ist Dreyer/Schmitt? – user unknown Oct 20 '18 at 0:22

Both forms are equally valid. The differences are regional in use, not in meaning. I did find that "backt" is sometimes listed as the more informal of the two, but that may again be regional. Both forms can be used equally, as opposed to something like "buk" (rather dated or extremely formal) vs "backte" (standard) for the past tense.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.