I came across this word in the MMO Lotro and I suspect it may be a German word, but I'm not sure. If it is, I'd love to know what it means. My poor guess is something like "forest defender."

1. Please give us more context. Write the whole sentence in which you found this word. 2. What is "MMO"? Please don't use abbreviations that are not well known to everybody. – Hubert Schölnast Apr 26 '17 at 6:29
    Looks like a mix of German/Swedish. German Wald means forest, Swedish gård means German Hof/Gut/Gehöft (farm/property). Found also the Swedish rally driver Björn Waldegård. – Pollitzer Apr 26 '17 at 6:56
    @Thorongil: I don't think people are more likely to answer by not giving as much information as possible in your question. While I know what an MMO is, you cannot expect people in a language community to know. FYI (sic!): Hubert is one of the top contributers here, and likely would have given you an elaborate answer. But I doubt that he will be encouraged by you saying "Google it, I am too lazy to edit my question, I just want an answer". – Gerhard Apr 26 '17 at 16:42
    Well, there's something called Google you can use to find out what "Waldengard" is. – Em1 Apr 26 '17 at 20:04
    Ranger? <!-- padding padding--> – peterh Apr 26 '17 at 22:13

It's not a common noun (= normal word). In the realm of its fantasy world it's probably a proper noun (= name). It was probably chosen to evoke precisely the sort of association that you're experiencing. Please note, however, that while "Wald" is a German root meaning "forest", "gard" isn't, so the desired effect really only works on speakers of English with a vague familiarity with German - not on actual speakers of German.

Alternatively, "-gard" is an old Germanic root meaning "yard, enclosure", as in "Midgard", and this may also have influenced the choice.

There are many German given names that end with "-gard". Most of them seem extremely rare to me, but at least Hildegard and Irmgard should be commonly known, so Waldengard sounds a bit familiar. Note that Wikipedia even lists Waldgard, but without further reference. – Matthias Apr 26 '17 at 13:41

It is not a German word according to the official dictionary (The "Duden").

There is no official list of all German words and also no official dictionary. – Carsten S Apr 26 '17 at 12:02

Is is not a german word I've come across, and it is not in any reference material I have access to.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.