Ich hasse es, wenn ... Und ich dachte, dir ginge das genauso.

I'm not sure how to interpret the "ich dachte + Konjunktiv" construction:

1: I thought you would share my view, but it has turned out to be wrong.

2: I hate this, and you would surely agree with me, right? {pressuring you to agree}

3: In my opinion, you'd agree with me, {but this is nothing more than an assumption on my part, so it is just as likely to be false as it is to be true.}

... Und ich dachte, dir ginge das genauso.

could be rephrased to

... Und ich dachte, du hättest die gleiche Meinung.

So interpretation 1 is correct.

In this case »gehen« has the meaning »to be in a certain state/condition« (sich in einer bestimmten Verfassung, Lage befinden).

Note that it's more common to use »ginge es« instead of »ginge das«.

• Oh, I see. So I suppose the speaker says this sentence in an accusing or disappointing tone? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens May 2 '17 at 11:56
    @Alone-zee: Accusation or disappointment are possible, but also surprise. – Pollitzer May 2 '17 at 12:05

Without further context only #3 applies, but already minor additions could shift it to one of the others. E. g. oder etwa nicht would shift the meaning towards #2.

To arrive at #1 I would use Plu-perfect Ich hatte gedacht, to convey, that I no longer believe it due to new information.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.