I am the brewer at a small brewery and I am planning to brew a Berlinerweisse -style beer next. I want to call it "Trout Weisse", only in German. It is my understanding that the German word for "trout" is "Forelle". Would it make sense to name the beer "Forelleweisse"? or is it not that simple of a translation? I like the sound, the relevance, and the way the name looks phonetically; but I want to make sure it makes sense and that I'm not being offending anyone.

Thank you!

"Forellenweisse" would look more correct. – IQV May 4 '17 at 12:06
    Why not "Weisse Forelle"? (joke) – Eller May 4 '17 at 13:08

As far as meaning goes, that name is fine and unlikely to give offense.

Euphonically the translation is slightly inferior because of the additional syllables.

However, morphologically this would be abnormal. In compounds such as these you would normally employ the Fugen-N, so the name is "Forellenweisse".

And orthographically, the ss should actually be ß, but I'd be lying if I said that people care very much about the difference.

| improve this answer | |
    Should be "Forellenweiße" as it's a diphtong before the ß/ss. But "Forellen–Weiße" is more readable and easier to identify as related to Berliner Weiße – Janka May 4 '17 at 14:47
  • Some brewers of Berliner Weiße don't care either. I bet it's been "invented" by some ad agency who thought ß was "old-fashioned". – Janka May 4 '17 at 19:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.